I think the XMLTreeDataProvider class (as opposed to the
TreeDataProvider Interface implemented by the XML class) is just
what I need to display and modify an XML object in an MXML Tree.
This is what it says
in "mx.controls.treeclasses.XMLTreeDataProvider.as".

/**
The XMLTreeDataProvider class ensures that you can manipulate nodes
on an XML object using the methods specified in the TreeDataProvider
interface, which broadcast changes to registered views. This makes
it more convenient to describe your data hierarchy as an XML file or
as an mx:XML tag in Flex and have it converted to a TreeDataProvider
by calling the XML.parseXML() method. The XMLTreeDataProvider class
implements the interface defined by the TreeDataProvider interface.
*/

So I have 2 questions; 1) Is the XMLTreeDataProvider classs indeed
the best/preferred method for presenting XML data in a Tree, and 2)
If it is, does anyone have a simple implementation example?

The XMLTreeDataProvider class uses "Mix-in methods" and they are a
bit confusing. Because of that, I'm not certain how the Tree,
TreeNode, XML, XMLNode, and XMLTreeDataProvider classes/objects are
meant to interact when using the XMLTreeDataProvider. There is
little documentation out there on this topic and a simple example
would be greatly appreciated.