From: Tom Fitzpatrick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 6:58 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [flexcoders] ComboBox databinding

Hi -

Your example works fine, but when I try to achieve a similar binding using
a value object defined as an external class, I get a type mismatch error:

"Type mismatch in assignment statement: found Object where String is
required".

Here are some more details of my test setup.

I have a value object defined as a class:

class EmployeeOptions
{
public var firstname:String;
public var lastname:String;
public var country:String;
}

In a component called Employee, I've instantiated the class as:

<EmployeeOptions id="vo"/>

I'm trying to bind it from text fields and the comboBox this way:

<mx:Binding source="firstName.text" destination="vo.firstname" />
<mx:Binding source="lastName.text" destination="vo.lastname" />
<mx:Binding source="countries.value" destination="vo.country"/>

To return values to my component, I've created a delegate called
EmployeeDelegate. This is instantiated in the component as:

<EmployeeDelegate id="delegate"/>

I'm trying to call methods in the delegate to populate the component with
constructions such as:

<mx:Label id="Name"
text="{delegate.getEmployeeName(vo.firstname,vo.lastname)}"/>

This setup works just fine with the text fields, but the comboBox gives me
the type mismatch error when I use the above bindings.

Help!

- Tom

At 08:38 PM 3/14/2005, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I don't have the book so couldn't look at the code...I know code is
>available somewhere online, but me being lazy :)
>
>However, following code might help you...
>
>###mxBindingTest.mxml###
><mx:Application width="800" height="600"
>xmlns:mx="<http://www.macromedia.com/2003/mxml>http://www.macromedia.com/20
03/mxml"

> <!-- Form contains user input controls. -->
> <mx:Form label="Employee Information">
> <mx:FormItem label="First Name">
> <mx:TextInput id="firstName" />
> </mx:FormItem>
> <mx:FormItem label="Last Name">
> <mx:TextInput id="lastName" />
> </mx:FormItem>
> <mx:FormItem label="Department">
> <mx:TextInput id="department" />
> </mx:FormItem>
> <mx:FormItem label="Email Address">
> <mx:TextInput id="email" />
> </mx:FormItem>
> <mx:FormItem label="Country">
> <mx:ComboBox id="countries" >
> <mx:dataProvider>
> <mx:Array>
> <mx:String>India</mx:String>
> <mx:String>USA</mx:String>
> </mx:Array>
> </mx:dataProvider>
> </mx:ComboBox>
> </mx:FormItem>
> </mx:Form>
>
> <!-- The myEmployee data model -->
> <mx:Model id="myEmployee">
> <name>
> <first/>
> <last/>
> </name>
> <department/>/
> <email/>
> <country />
> </mx:Model>
>
> <!-- Properties of user interface controls are bound to the
> myEmployee data model using <mx:Binding> tags -->
>
> <mx:Binding source="firstName.text"
>destination="myEmployee.name.first" />
> <mx:Binding source="lastName.text"
>destination="myEmployee.name.last" />
> <mx:Binding source="department.text"
>destination="myEmployee.department"/>
> <mx:Binding source="email.text" destination="myEmployee.email"/>
> <mx:Binding source="countries.value"
>destination="myEmployee.country"/>
>

> <mx:TextInput text="{myEmployee.country}"/>
>

> </mx:Application>
>

>Notice how combobox box is bound to a Model and Model is bound to
>TextInput...
>
>-abdul

roups/S=1705007207:HM/EXP=1110937115/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www
.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>