Hi Devis,

> premised that we are still poor in Flex/ActionScript, we
> agree with you that "you can build bad applications in Flex,
> just as easily as you can build good applications in Flex",
> the only great problem is as sync flex/ui with our back-end,
> in our j2ee side we are using in convinced way the designs pattern.
> While in the swing the iteration between the gui/enduser and
> the business logic it's consolidated in our team with
> Flex/ActionScript we find us lost, we hope both normal.

Have you looked at Cairngorm ? The prime motivation for
Cairngorm, was to allow us to bring our experience of working
with the Core J2EE Design Patterns (like many J2EE consultancies,
prior to Struts gaining wide adoption, we implemented our own
framework architecture upon the appropriate J2EE Patterns) to
RIA development.

I think if you can understand how to architect an application
with Cairngorm, you are going to very quickly learn how easy it
is to not only hook up a Flex UI to a J2EE backend, but how
*familiar* it is, using ServiceLocator, BusinessDelegate and
Value Objects/Data Transfer Objects.

You don't *need* Cairngorm to build well-architected Flex
applications - it would be arrogant to assume so - but if your
comfort zone is J2EE, then I think this is an essential
starting place to answer some of your questions.

You can download the 0.9 release here:

http://www.richinternetapps.com/archives/000094.html

which includes a sample application that hits your J2EE application
(with a MySQL backend) and shows how to transfer data back and
forth between Flex and Java.

Sounds like you guys have J2EE best-practices coming out your
ears, so this is going to be a "Eureka moment" for you.

> In synthesis we have understood that flex him you are using
> with success, from what I see in the cases of study of your site.
> the only thing that we are still perplexed is whether to find
> material to be studied for seeing whether to give to a
> forms/Flex a similar interaction to a desktop apps, we wish
> build webapplication like dsktop apps, then to take the
> advantages of a desktop app and to insert them in a RIA/Flex/webapp.

We recommend our clients to identify a small piece of functionality
that is representative of a typical problem, and in going from end-to-end
through your enterprise application architecture tiers, touches all the
necessary systems.

So - if you were building a real-time trading dashboard for instance,
you may choose to pick some functionality that listens to a JMS topic,
and build a Flex UI that polls for changes to the topic, fetching data
when appropriate and plotting it in a simple bar-chart. I'd then
recommend that using a technical architecture (such as Cairngorm) to
see how you can build that single use-case of functionality. So,
rather than worry about the breadth of Flex, focus on driving a
"spike" through an end-to-end solution.

This voyage of discovery will allow you to answer yourself, many
of the questions you're asking here, I believe.

> According to you we can find some material or do we have to
> arm us of patience and does to find one solution of ours or a
> Flex design pattern exist???

Go and download the sample chapter at:

http://www.richinternetapps.com/archives/000051.html

This is everything a J2EE developer needs to know about working
with Flex and Java together; this chapter first appeared at
www.theserverside.com

Take a look at the sample application with Cairngorm.

Hope this helps guide you,

Best,

Steven

--
Steven Webster
Technical Director

This e-mail and any associated attachments transmitted with it may contain
confidential information and must not be copied, or disclosed, or used by
anyone other than the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended
recipient(s) please destroy this e-mail, and any copies of it, immediately.

Please also note that while software systems have been used to try to ensure
that this e-mail has been swept for viruses, iteration::two do not accept
responsibility for any damage or loss caused in respect of any viruses
transmitted by the e-mail. Please ensure your own checks are carried out
before any attachments are opened.