What you are actually asking about then is how to integrate with
an analytics too; most analytics tools actually work by using
Javascript or by exposing an XML over HTTP(s) or SOAP API.

Rather than try and embed a hidden image (the common trick for
analytics) you should look to see what integration technologies
your particular analytics vendor supports (WebSideStory for
instance, uses Cookies and JavaScript).

There's an article on integrating with Omniture, which also
uses a JavaScript and Cookie tracking mechanism, here:

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flex/articles/analytic_app_print.html

That's probably the starting point you are looking for.

We have just (about) completed a major Flex app that has
analytics requirements, and a piece of advice is that you
need to have your customer (marketing dept) think very
carefully about what information they want OUT of the
analytics engine.....with an RIA we break free of the
concept of page-impressions, and analytics allows us to
gain much more powerful metrics, by tracking significant
business events that convey much more meaning about
how users are using and not using your application, than
page impressions can signify (ie if someone refreshes
a page several times on online banking application, is
it because they made seven bill payments, or is it because
they failed seven times to pay one bill ?).

If you just want to churn lots of guff out into the logs
however, and impress a marketing department that will never
actually use the info, just ask for it, then you should
look to extending the Cairngorm Controller class to
log events + corresponding data for every user-gesture.

Good luck,

Steven

--
Steven Webster
Technical Director

This e-mail and any associated attachments transmitted with it may contain
confidential information and must not be copied, or disclosed, or used by
anyone other than the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended
recipient(s) please destroy this e-mail, and any copies of it, immediately.

Please also note that while software systems have been used to try to ensure
that this e-mail has been swept for viruses, iteration::two do not accept
responsibility for any damage or loss caused in respect of any viruses
transmitted by the e-mail. Please ensure your own checks are carried out
before any attachments are opened.