Is this the answer to the age old question of 'Who's on first?' :)

-----Original Message-----
From: JesterXL [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 10:35 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Re: AS - adding dynamic properties to an object

A rundown of them all:

"Who's on here?"
-----------------
function showProps(o:Object):Void
{
    for(var p in o)
    {
        trace("-------------");
        trace(p + ": " + o[p]);
        trace("typeof: " + typeof(o[p]));
        trace("is a String: " + (o[p] instanceof String));
        trace("is a Number: " + (o[p] instanceof Number));
        trace("is a Array: " + (o[p] instanceof Array));
        trace("is a Boolean: " + (o[p] instanceof Boolean));
        trace("is a Date: " + (o[p] instanceof Date));

Obviously there are more data types.

You know the type (not recommended):

var val:String = o[p];

You coerce the type (recommended, but expect weird results):

var val:MyClass = MyClass(o[p]);

Keep in mind, the above works differently since some intrinsic datatypes
have special constructors; String(something) actually converts it to a
String, and Date's overloaded with a few different ways of making them.

...obviously, interfaces are typically the best way, since you can typecast
'em (I think, I did it with a CollectionItr):

var myA:Iterator = Interator(reallyARecordSet);

Or something to that effect.