Manish -

Thanks - but that doesn't work for my situation.

I'm trying to add the color during the process of building a string that
will be pulled into a textArea.

Something like the following (doesn't work, but shows you what I'm trying
to do):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.macromedia.com/2003/mxml";
   xmlns="*" creationComplete="">
   <mx:Text id="t" text="start" />
   <mx:Button label="Color" click="createText()"/>
   <mx:Script>

         function doRed(text):String
     {
                 var tf = new TextFormat();