Yes, if you, typically, do a deletePopUp when the event was triggered by the
popup itself, there's some kind of reference to the popup kept around.

I've found that if I do something like this:

function initApp()
{
    popup = PopUpManager.createPopUp(this, TitleWindow, true);
    popup.addEventListener("click", this);
}

function click()
{
    doLater(this, "removePopUp");
}

function removePopUp()
{
    popup.deletePopUp();
}

It's ok but if I were to immediately remove it, the dropshadow still is
there.  Anyway, the above works all the time.