dunwerkin wrote:

>My reason to not look at SnappMX (or Lazlo for that matter) is that
>every XML based implementation for a UI seems to be creating its own
>very different dialect. Not very good if you want to repurpose UI
>later.  If someone wrote a SWF generator that used either XUL
>(Mozilla's dialect) or MXML, I'd be much happier.  At least the
>XAMALON effort is using the M$ dialect, which will have a high uptake.
>
>Adam

There's an open source project in the works called ActionStep that is a
port of the NextStep AppKit.  There is already an XML interface language
for GNUStep (OpenStep, NeXT, whatever).  In theory, this is going to be
available in ActionScript at some point, though I imagine its quite a
ways away.. still lots of work to do.

But, more of an FYI, Renaissance is probably going to be an option in
the future as well.

http://www.gnustep.it/Renaissance/

I wonder if we'll start to see some XSLT transformers to convert between
the different UI markups.  I kind of doubt it, as there isn't a real
need for it (i.e. if you use Flex, you won't be using XAML, etc).
However, I wonder how long it will take to form a standards committee as
the official "xml format for interfaces" like the w3c, with a way to
specify that code is in a certain language.  Probably not for awhile, if
ever, as everyone is competing with their proprietary format to see who
comes out on top...

-d