The title may be a bit of a misnomer, because Macromedia Flex lives on
the server, while cross-site scripting exploits would occur on the
client machines. This seems a sub-class of general security in the
Macromedia Flash Player rather than the development environment, true...?

Here's general background info on security and privacy in the Macromedia
Flash Player:
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flashplayer/
... and here's background on recent security issues in the Macromedia
Flash Player:
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/security/security_zone/#flashplayer

As I understand the post, you're concerned about the possibility of a
command injection into a textfield of a SWF application. (I could be
wrong, but it sounded to me more like a script-injection issue than a
cross-site scripting issue.) Have you been able to see this happen yet?
have you typed "fscommand:()" into a textfield in a particular component
to pop up an alert or such? If there's a recipe that could be reproduced
in-house then we can work on it.

Or is it more a general curiosity, about whether there might be a way
that such a thing is possible....?

tx,
jd

--
John Dowdell . Macromedia Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd