Well I am very very new to the flex world :) but let me try and take
a stab at your quesition. Flex opperates in a N-Tier model,
specifically it is the presentation tier. In theory, flex can work
with any database, as long as you properly set up your buisness tier
to integrate with your database backend. You could use flex with any
webservice to produce the desired database connectivity, whether the
buisness tier be in php(laugh) or C, as long as you connect to the
buisness tier using SOAP, AMF or any of the other remoting features
offered in flex.

Here's a some docs on the n-tier model.

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/15/flex_docs_e
n/wwhelp/wwhimpl/comm
on/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Flex_Documentation&file=00000003.htm

Cheers,
Joel