Check out the TreeDataProvider API in the ASDoc.  The backingObject is used by one implementation of that API (called TreeNode) which is used when the object you are passing to the Tree does not implement TreeDataProvider itself.

I don’t think we provide an easy way to limit the depth of the tree.  I suppose you could simply implement the TreeDataProvider API yourself to make sure that children that are too deep aren’t displayed.

Matt

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:flexcoders@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Beeman
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 2:50 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Tree dataProviders & backingObject

Is there any sort of documentation on the way the Tree component deals
with it's dataProvider?

Using the "Object Inspector" from
http://www.coenraets.com/viewarticle.jsp?articleId=83 I can see that
binding my dataProvider for the tree to an object creates a subobject
called backingObject that actually holds the data.

So, I've got 2 additional questions - Why does it do this?  And, a
related question is, how do I limit how many nodes of an object the tree
actually uses for it's display?  (For example, I only want it to go 2
levels into a dataProvider)

* Jeff Beeman
* Digital Media & Instructional Technologies
* Arizona State University