Yes we are using overlapping windows.  Maybe I misunderstand the
question, but isn't the point of popup windows to allow overlapping
windows?

Simple test case?  Not yet.  Just one huge app.  Sometimes the pops
work just fine.  Other times they don't.

All the windows I'm popping up are derived from TitleWindow.