I guess I should say disregard, but there seems to be a bug here.  I finally gave up and stopped concentrating on it and went on to another section of the application in the same file.  After making another alteration the file and rebuilding, everything seems to work fine.  Even though I was telling it to rebuild before, it didn't seem to be really rebuilding.  Only after making some kind of edit to the .mxml file did it embed the font correctly.

So the way it looks like I encountered this bug, was that I added the embed lines to the mxml file and compiled before I actually copied the font file to the location.  It correctly displayed the error message.  I then copied the font file to where it should be and attempted to rebuild.  Then it kept displaying the error message.  The error message didn't go away until I made some other edit to the mxml file which seems to have triggered it to really do a rebuild, which it didn't seem to be really doing before.  I hope this helps someone else...

-- Matthew