I just started looking at doing something similar.  I believe you're
going to want to extend TreeRow.  There's an example online here:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flex/1/cellrenderers/cellrenderers13.html

The example is not perfect, and I've been really struggling to
implement the behaviors you described.  Simply getting the checkbox to
display properly with the disclosure button and icons has already
sidelined me.  Regardless of the _x coordinate I set for the checkbox,
it seems to want to render itself right on top of the disclosure
button which has been very frustratng.  I'd love to hear from anyone
who's tackled this already.

Thanks!
Tom Jeffery