The [Object] object thing means you are trying to look at a complex
object, which selectedItem returns.  SelectedItem is not a value, as you
might expect, but rather a reference to the row/node/object in the
dataProvider that populated that particular list item. What you probably
want is a property of that object.

What does your dataProvider look like?  If you have used the default
array of objects, with "label" and "data" properties, and then your
selectedItem.data should work.  Are you using a result handler and can
you debug the result of the remote object?

Since selectedItem is an Object, you might need to cast it to the type
that your dataProvider really provides.

Now, Combobox has a property value, about which the docs say:
value
value: Object

The data property if it exists or the label property of the
selectedItem.

Note again that it is an object, and your should cast it to a string or
number or whatever.

Post a bit of your dataProvider content if you are still having trouble.

Tracy