Again thanks for all the help so far ... turns out that

LineSeries.RenderData is a protected property

renderData      property
renderData:Object  [read-only]

Stores the information necessary to render this series.

Implementation
    protected function get renderData():Object

... so I presume I have to subclass LineSeries to make it publicly
available which gives errors on both attempts:

package
{
        import mx.charts.series.LineSeries;

        public class myLineSeries extends LineSeries
        {

                // overriding a function not marked for override
                // incompatible override
                public function get renderData():Object{
                        return super.renderData;
                }

                // incompatible override
                override public function get renderData():Object { return
super.renderData; }

 Would appreciate any pointers. TIA,

Mic.