The method Daniel suggests is essentially the same that is used within
components when enabling/disabling. When disable is called ­ the component
throws up a Œblocker¹ that prevents interaction with the control. So... You
could use the default component behavior of calling enabled=false (at a high
level in the app) or do something all fancy schmancy like Daniel. I¹ve used
both... I just like poking fun at fellow Flexcoders and using the word
Œschmancy.¹

Rick Winscot