From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of John Dowdell
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:01 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Flex & external desktop application
communication

superabe wrote:
> I know Flex excels at communicating with server-side data sources.
> Is there any way for a flex app to communicate with a desktop
application installed on the same machine as where the app is being
viewed (in a controlled kiosk environment for e.g.)

Key concept: You may develop a SWF in any of several ways, but this file

runs within the Macromedia Flash Player, usually (but not necessarily)
in a browser.

So this becomes: Can plugins in browsers invoke executable code on the
desktop? The answer to this is "Not usually, because of the severe
security risks this implies" -- document browsers are designed to
promiscuously visit site after site after site, so there is great risk
in letting things on your hard drive invisibly execute.

I don't know what type of communication you're seeking -- data exchange,

switch of focus, one-way web service -- there could be ways to achieve
the goal, depending on just what that goal was.

Sorry I don't have a useful "here ya go!" answer, but the above is the
background towards finding it.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Macromedia Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd