You could do it by listening to the textInput event. When it's triggered, check
if the text height is above a certain limit (for example the TextArea height -
font height): if it is, cancel the event.

The code below should work:

textArea.addEventListener(TextEvent.TEXT_INPUT, textArea_textInput);

protected function textArea_textInput(event:TextEvent) {
    if (textArea.textHeight > textArea.height - textArea.getStyle("fontSize")) {
        event.preventDefault();

Laurent Cozic

Flash, Flex and Web Application development
http://pogopixels.com