I haven't run this code, but I don't see why it wouldn't work:

this.source = event.result.source;

I personally prefer looping through the returned collection and
translating the raw objects into instances of a class I've defined.
This allows for compile-time checking on anything you want to do with
the local copies, and it lets you add methods and properties to those
objects.

var o:SomeClass = new SomeClass(event.result[i]);
collection.addItem(o);