There is a close and closing event on windowedApplication. You could
probably just catch those and use something like
event.preventDefault() when you don't want it to close.

This works:

<mx:WindowedApplication closing="onClose(event)"
xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";>
<mx:Script>
<![CDATA[
private function onClose(event:Event):void {
        Alert.show('try to close');
        event.preventDefault();
}
]]>