Awesome. That did the trick! Thanks Alex.

I've since figured there are four ways to instantiate the FLVPlayback component
  in Flex, which will be the topic of a few upcoming articles:

1) Use the Flex Component Kit to wrap the FLVPlayback in a UIMovieClip (a
well-known implementation)

2) Reference the FLVPlayback component class in the Flash CS3 installation
directly, though this involves a few hacks since the class is expecting to find
certain MovieClip assets which are not there if you don't use the SWC. (which
is
what I was trying to do)

3) Merge all the class files from all fl.* package locations (there are four)
in
the Flash CS3 installation directory into a local src/fl/ package, though
you'll
have to employ the same hacks as 2) - not my first choice, as it potentially
breaks the EULA.

4) Just place the FLVPlayback SWC in the /libs directory from C:\Program
Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash
CS3\en\Configuration\Components\Video\FLVPlaybackAS3.swc
This is my preference, since it's clean and doesn't involve the hacks necessary
in 2) & 3).

Joseph Balderson, Flash Platform Developer | http://joeflash.ca