The nice aspect of a local server (HTTP/XMLSocket) for integration is that
you can interact with Flex applications in the browser cleanly within the
security sandbox of the player. So long as the crossdomain.xml files are in
place and valid, you can have Flex integrate with a local server without
issue from a public website or intranet.

FlexUI <> mx:Loader <> Local HTTP Server <> Local System

FlexUI <> XMLSocket <> Local XMLSocket Server <> Local System

In our case, we are licensing, installing, and configuring software via a
Flex UI through a desktop "Service". Within Flash, FlexBuilder,
Eclipse(Zorn), Browsers, and Standalone Players, we can license, install,
and configure software to the local file system securely. All content is
distributed in a signed format that can be tested for authenticity within
the "Service" before installation occurs.

We shipped Beta 1 of the "Service" internally yesterday on WIN (OSX soon).
We are about a week from announcing and the public beta will proceed
afterwards.

I will make sure to push the announcement onto Flexcoders a day in advance.

There is nothing like a great example.

Ted ;)