From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Darren Houle
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 10:34 AM
To: Flexcoders Group
Subject: [flexcoders] Question about printing

I haven't played with printing much, but I've been looking and haven't
been able to find a good answer to this anywhere yet...

This might be an oversimplification, but apparently when it comes to the
FlexPrintJob you can either print what's displayed (visible) in your
app, or else employ the PrintDataGrid which allows you to print things
that are not necessarily displayed visually anywhere.

My problem is that I have a List component that uses a custom rederer,
and it typically displays hundreds of items, with less than ten visible
on the screen at any one time.  The reason I have a custom renderer is
because there's too much data for a DataGrid (would result in too many
unusably thin columns.)  When I try to print the List component I only
get the few that are visible on the screen... when I use the List's
dataprovider in a PrintDataGrid there's too many columns and the data is
unreadable.  But... when my customer hits ! print, they want a prinout
of all the items in the List, not just what's visible.

My question is this... can I use a custom renderer in a PrintDataGrid?
Or is there a way to loop through the List's dataprovider, make each
item somehow "visible" so it can be added to the printjob?  My first
pref would be to create a custom renderer for a PrintDataGrid so that I
can control output format better than a datagrid, have all items
"visible" to the printjob even though they're not "visible" to the user,
use print paging, etc. but I can't seem to find any good documentation
on that anywhere.

There's a tidbit here:
http://www.nabble.com/Can-Flex-really-handle-complex-printing--td1574401
9.html
<http://www.nabble.com/Can-Flex-really-handle-complex-printing--td157440
19.html>   but I'm curious if this is recommended, or if there's a
happier place I could go :-)

Thanks
Darren