How to implement this type of event propagation?

My application component tree is roughly:

App
- main container
  - header container
    - menu component
  - body container
    - form component

the user 'Saves' the entity in the form via the menu.  I want to
validate the form's required fields prior to the save, so the menu
component fires an AppMenuEvent - doValidation event.  The form
component, which has registered for that event, never receives the event.

I think this is because of the application component structure and
specifically because the form component is not in the component tree
from the event initiator (menu) to the App root node.  Is that correct?

How to resolve?

thanks