I meant to point out a reason why I might run into troubles.  I am
following a training title on Lynda.com on Actionscript 3.0 with Flex.
 The instructor is using Flex 2.0 and I am using Flex 3.0 with
Actionscript 3.0 (obviously).  I'm not sure if that could be a cause
of my difficulties or not.
Thanks,
Bruce

Flex Developers forum - with support for newbies:
http://futurewavedesigns.com/aria/
Please check it out.