From: Amy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:32:56 -0000
To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: Change dataProvider at runtime?

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"cox.blair" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with changing a dataprovider at runtime?
>
> Scenerio: a grocery store Database has four tables, one for Produce,
> Dairy, Meat and Other. Each of the tables is a different
> arrayCollection/HTTPService
>
> I want to be able to have four comboboxes, each able to point to any
> of the four arrayCollection's, therefore to change the datasource of
> each series in a chart.
>
> Why? Because it would allow you to compare values of different data
> sets in a single chart. I did not expect this would be such an issue.
>
> If anyone can provide any information at all, it would be a huge help.

Preferred method:

If you have any control over the database, FIX THE DESIGN.  If not, use
a UNION query to normalize the data, then use a filter function to
filter on grocery type and refresh the ArrayCollection.

Icky method:
If you have no control over the backend at all, then you can use
something like myChart.dataProvider = nastyArrayCollection

;-)

HTH;

Amy