I suppose it depends.  Bet you never heard that answer before!  IMHO, if you
are just displaying data in a DG or something, just use some XML and go for
it.  If you need to actually interact with the data, use the VOs in a
architected model.  Suppose your use case is that a user needs to add a
department to a employee, code would be something like
myEmployeeInstance.department = chosenDepartment where chosenDepartment is a
Department instance.  Your objects on the server would be modeled this way,
model them in your RIA this way too, less work.

You may not be doing anythign wrong with your apporach, you know your use
case best, eh?  YMMV greatly here.  It may be that having the departmentID
and a lookup table is all you need really.  But what about next week when
suddenly a employee needs to be in two departments?  I used to work with
PeopleSoft data a lot, trust me rules get broken all the time :)  Or maybe
next month the client wants to see more info about the department?

I will note that you do not need to query for the department on each
employee interation in your server code.  Just make your SQL return the all
the (flat) data properly and while interating over it create both the
Employee instance and the Department instance.

DK

--
Douglas Knudsen
http://www.cubicleman.com