I have posted a response to this thread
(http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/flexcoders/message/60797)
and would like to re-ask the question and I am not sure a complete
answer was found.

first off I understand that Adobe only supports uploads up to 100mb in
size, I am attempting to push that 10x further.

I am using flex for a multiple file upload, and as far as selection
and the actual uploading process everything is working fine.

the issue is that when flex/as3 prepares to upload a file, it loads
that entire file into RAM. In cases of lower end or base consumer
machines that process locks the computer down for sometimes minutes
while the file is written to virtual memory.

I understand adding more RAM would alleviate the issue, but I can
hardly ask my users to add more RAM before using our service.

In my research I have found that without AIR, AS3's fileReference and
upload mechanisms are somewhat of a black box - probably for security
reasons, but I am  not sure of my findings.

the most viable option I have found would be to split the larger files
into smaller sizes and upload each portion, re-assembling it on the
server once the session is complete.

has anyone found a way to do this in flex - not AIR?
Are my assumptions correct or has someone found different conclusions?

Thank you,
-Nathan