The flash installer (playerProductInstall.swf) tries to reload the
container page in a new Explorer window when the installation is
complete. Today, I found out why they do this, and I was wondering if
anyone knows of a work-around...

My first idea was this:
If a new version is required, pop up a new window containing the
installer. Then, from the container, poll the flash version
(DetectFlashVer()) until it's updated.

This didn't work. DetectFlashVer() kept returning the same old
version number.

So just to see how bad the situation was, I refreshed the containing
HTML page after Flash 9 was installed. And lo -- the installer page
popped right back up. So even after a refresh, it can't detect the
flash version correctly.

Is there any way to fix this? This page sometimes shows up in an
embedded MSHTML control, so it's not always possible to reload the
page in a new window.