Only following this thread halfway, but in thinking about it, grouping
would be expensive because the adg would have to look at every row.
Now, hopefully, that would be in memory and not related to the rendering
bottleneck, but maybe not.

Perhaps you could build a hierarchical data set in advance, to take the
load (or some) off ADG?  Does ADG's sort/group algorithm perform better
if the data is already in the right order?  Many such algorithims do.

And if your data was pre-ordered, you could even use page demand
the bottleneck in your case really is.

Just thinking out loud...

Tracy