I have been working at this for a few hours now. I have seen examples for
several list controls other than just mx:List.

I thought this example was the most promising to accomplish what I am trying to
do.

<mx:itemRenderer>
                <mx:Component>
                    <mx:HBox paddingLeft="2">
                        <mx:Script>
                        <![CDATA[
                            override public function set data( value:Object ) :
void {
                                super.data = value;
                                var today:Number = (new Date()).time;
                                var pubDate:Number = Date.parse(data.date);
                                if( pubDate > today )
setStyle("backgroundColor",0xff99ff);
                                else setStyle("backgroundColor",0xffffff);
                            }
                        ]]>
                        </mx:Script>
                        <mx:Image source="{data.image}" width="50" height="50"
scaleContent="true" />
                        <mx:Text width="100%" text="{data.title}" />
                    </mx:HBox>
                </mx:Component>
            </mx:itemRenderer>

But this example is from a dataGrid and the var value has no value when using
this method in
a mx:List control.

All I want to do is change the bacground color of the mx:HBox dependent on
another value from
data.

Any ideas?