Using Modules is the one way to reduce the size of swf's from one to many.
But, it's a big hassle while you are developing your application. As every
build time is more as other modules are also part of your application and if
many dev working on different modules, then dependency increases on others.

What we tried here.. instead of Modules, we divided our big application into
many small application and put an umbrella application on top of all. The
benefits we got out of it, is modularization, lesser build time, lesser
overhead and lot more..

We are using Flex 2. Definitely there will be some advantage with Flex 3.
But on top of all that, dividing a big application into many small one's
gives us a lot of comfort. (Earlier we were using the modules and it was
pretty tough to deal with that ).

Thanks,
Manu.