Nevermind…I created a label maker function and set my tree component’s dataTipFunction to this function and the val object sent to the label maker function is the entire tree node, so I just return val.getProperty(“label”) (because the dataprovider of my tree is XML) and my data tips work perfectly now.

<mx:Script>

function dataTipMaker(val):String {

                                                return val.getProperty("label");

                                    }

</mx:Script>

<mx:Tree id="portfolioTree" dataProvider="{portfolios}" width="100%" height="400" showDataTips="true" dataTipFunction="dataTipMaker" />

robert l. brueckmann

senior web developer

merlin securities

595 madison avenue