Well technically speaking you can also embed your own controls/assets
inside the Panel by attaching it to back_mc within the panel

ie

function createChildren():Void {
super.createChildren()
custom_mc =
back_mc.createClassObject(com.mossyblog.PanelWrapperContainer,"custom_mc");
// etc
}

function layoutChildren():Void {
super.layoutChildren()
custom_mc.move(20,100) // or whever you want to do it.
// etc
}

This would work and would remove the need to add a canvas container to
the equation,  but of course if Flex 2.0 changes its inner workings or
whatever they plan to do in the future, your code will need to mindful
of such new changes (basically your off the reservation).

--
Regards,
Scott Barnes