Timing is probably your problem. But anyway there's another solution to
accomblish your task you might want to consider. If products is your
dataProvider Array then you can bind to it via

<mx:Binding
        source="products" destination="this.productsChanged" />

and handle it via getter / setter properties

public function get productsChanged() : Array
{
         return _productsChanged;
}

public function set productsChanged( newProductsChanged : Array)
{
  update( newProductChanged  );
  _productsChanged = newProductsChanged;
}

private var _productsChanged : Array;

in update you can access the updated dataProvider, delegating to other tasks
such as calculating a sum. The textfields could then i.e. bind to simple
properties of your model.

Best,
Alex

--