  From: Michael Schmalle
  To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:26 PM
  Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Speeding up draw time with nested VBoxes

  > plus I have a grudge against vboxes now :P

  It's not the gun that kills but the finger that pulled the trigger... ;-)

  VBoxs serve their purposes and perform great when they are used 'correctly'.
I know that sounds bad but I don't mean it like that.

  There are while(loops) in the layout code that acts like a circular saw, when
it's grinding it's taking A LOT of energy from the Player, the large the wood,
the more power it needs.

  The plus side is, since the algorithms are so good in it, with controls that
have limited children and layout logic, there is a lot you can do with boxes
(stretching).

  But Tracy is totally right, item renderers are what you need. I think this
will change  in the future, the way developers look at 'renderers'. Renderers
abstract and decouple your repetitive layout and child creation code from the
main component controller. You can then at any time in the future optimize a
renderer of any kind easily and efficiently.

  Mike

database 3468 (20080924) __________

  http://www.eset.com