I was also having trouble with AMFPHP until I purchased the Essential Guide
to Open Source Flash.
The creator of AMFPHP has a chapter (chapter 7) that fully explains how to
setup the PHP and Flex side of a CRUD sample application. It also contains a
primer on VO's.
I highly recommend this chapter to anyone starting out with AMFPHP or Flex
RemoteObject. (I have not read any of the other chapters just yet :)  )

Terry