override the set dataProvider;

then store the openitems, selecteditems, etc...

call
super.dataProvider = provider;
openItems=storedOpenItems;
validateNow();
selectedItems=storedSelectedItems;
validateNow();

as for amf calls, I have a method which gets the instance from the
dataprovider
and adds it to an array.  then i set the value in the tree.

Ryan Gravener
http://twitter.com/ryangravener