For validating, you'll want to look at the text property.  The escape
characters should only show up in the htmlText property.  I suspect that
if you press the down arrow key and then the backspace, the carriage
return would be removed.

-TH

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, rviswanathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Thanks Tim. I agree that these are escape chars. But when I do a
backspace,
> do I not nullify the effect of the carriage return? Why would it still
hold
> a \r?
>
> If I am validating the content of this textarea, then do I have to
look for
> a \r in the end and strip it if it exists?
>
> Thanks
> Ram
>

> Tim Hoff wrote:
> >

> > Those are the escape characters for the carraige return Ram.
> >
> > -TH
> >
> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, rviswanathan v_ramakrishnan@
> > wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi All
> >>
> >> I have a textarea where I enter some information and submit. These
are
> > the
> >> following steps
> >>
> >> 1. Run the attached swf
> >> 2. In the textarea, clear the contents and enter some text, say
> > "Sample
> >> Text" (Do not move out of the textarea until completing the next 2
> > steps)
> >> 3. Press the carriage return
> >> 4. Now press backspace -> We would now end up with exactly the same
> > text as
> >> in Step2 "Sample Text"
> >> 5. Click the submit button - When I debug, I notice that the actual
> > text
> >> that the textarea holds is "Sample Text\r" instead of "Sample
Text".