I changed the PriceLabel.as file to this..

package com.renderers {
    import mx.controls.Label;
    import mx.controls.listClasses.*;
    import mx.controls.Alert;

    public class PriceLabel extends Label {

                override public function set data( value : Object ) : void
                {
                    if (value != null)   super.data = value;
                }

        override protected function
updateDisplayList(unscaledWidth:Number, unscaledHeight:Number):void {
            //super.updateDisplayList(unscaledWidth, unscaledHeight);
                        //Alert.show(data.toString());

I added a breakpoint after the commented out alert and still this.data
shows null...
Any other ideas? I'm out of them