Hi Paul and others,
     Having followed your directions and seeing my own faults, I
finally got this working, using the simple design that I chose from
the beginning.  I had covered OOP and AS 3.0 but until you do
different things, it's not the same as learning it in a class.
Learning to think in an OOP way is what I am developing as a skill.
      I did get it though when you mentioned the idea of not having
the custom component rely on methods or properties in the application.
     The only problem I have is how to handle the Fault Event from the
HTTPService.  If the php form mailer had a problem then we would
handle that with the fault_handler method.  I was wondering if someone
here knew php enough to be able to tell me how I could return a value
to the component if something goes wrong.  I have the function
fault_handler(event:ResultEvent):void and that will get called from
resultHandler if the code returns: event.result == "ERROR."
       My php form does this:
$OK = mail ($mail_to, $subject, $message, $headers);

if ($OK)
{
        echo 'sent=OK';
}
else
{
        echo '&sent=ERROR';
}

Will this work in the php?  If so, do I just check for "ERROR" as the
value of event.result?
Thanks in advance,
Bruce

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Andrews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A quick look.
>
> You have in sendMyData::
>
> obj.Name = Name.text;
>    obj.Email = Email.text;
>    obj.Message = Message.text;
>
> Yet FormComp has:
>
> <mx:FormItem label="Name:">
>   <mx:TextInput/>
>  </mx:FormItem>
>  <mx:FormItem label="Email:">
>   <mx:TextInput/>
>  </mx:FormItem>
>  <mx:FormItem label="Message:">
>   <mx:TextArea/>
>  </mx:FormItem>
>
> None of the form fields has an id..
>
> Also,
>
> <mx:Button label="Contact Us" fontSize="16" click="sendMyData()"/>
>
> shows a click handler function "sendMyData()", yet there's no function
> called that in FormComp. sendMydata() is part of the parent
application. You
> can probably get away with referring to
Application.application.sendMyData,
> but that's really bad practice.
>
> The coupling of these components is really not as it should be try
and build
> components that can be used standalone without having to refer
directly to
> what is happeining outside. The formComp shouldn't be accessing a
handler in
> the parent application.
>
> The form should dispatch a custom event saying that the form has
been filled
> in and that event should include a payload of the form content. The
> application should listen for that event and despatch a message
using the
> event payload.
>
> I would suggest recapping some of your classes.
>
> Paul

actionscript and

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=Part6_ProgAS_1.html

> >> Now to the problem. You are getting this error because the "Name"
> > field is
> >> not defined where you are calling it, but in the FormComponent.
If you
> >> instantiate the FormComponent with an id of "form" for example,
you can
> >> access it with: form.Name. Note that it has to be declared public
in the
> >> component to be able access it from outside the component.
> >>
> >> Hope it helps!

Someone else