Ok.

1) I went into Flex Builder and installed the flash player that comes
in Flex Builder 3/Player/mac

After I did this, the project would compile and run without giving me
any errors, but it never updated (for instance, I changed the
background color, and it would 'compile and run', but the background
color never changed, i did it with multiple different variables, but
it was as if it was not actually updating the swf)

2) I decided to just do what you said, so I ran the uninstall flash player

3) I installed Flash Player 10, and I am getting that error, as well
as a new error that says

"/users/...../public/bin/MyProject.swf

The SWF application file does not contain required debugging
Information.  You might need to edit your project settings or recreate
your project."

It is so frustrating.