How are you doing the code to copy and paste?

Setting up a sting in MXML can look different than if you set it in
actionscript.  This may well be the issue.

Eg.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="vertical">

<mx:Script >

      <![CDATA[

            private var word : String = "&amp;\n hello";

      ]]>

</mx:Script>

      <mx:VBox>

            <mx:TextArea text="{word}" />

            <mx:TextArea text="&amp;\n hello" />

      </mx:VBox>

</mx:Application>

This displays

&amp;

 hello

in the first box and

&\n hello

In the second box.

HTH or at least gives you something to look into,

Kenneth.