Hi Max,
Thank you for your help. When I follow the steps you suggested ie make
flex open file with standalone flash player, but it still prompts me
with the same old window "where is the debugger or host aplication
installed", then I have to pick "localhost" and hit "Connect" and then
I can see trace mesagges in my output window.

Maybe something is wrong with my standalone flash player debug?
How do you change which standalone flash player is used by the system
to open .swfs? I suppose that you have to swap FlashPlayer.exe file in
order to make the system open .swfs with different FlashPlayer, but
where is the installation path of the standalone flash player?
Certainly it is not in program files.

cheers