We purchased Flex 2, which at the time, I believe included LCDS (or
whatever it was called at the time). My belief is that we only use
LCDS (currently) for remote object calls (I'm honestly not sure we
need LCDS for remote object, but I'll assume for now that we do
[without changing backend implementation]).

We need/want to upgrade to Flex 3 on the UI side, but would prefer to
leave our remote services unchanged (not even touch the server side of
the code/libraries) until we understand our licensing options.

Is this possible? Is it recommended? Any tricks/issues to overcome?
Any issues with the messaging/licensing that would prohibit us from
doing this?

Thanks for any info.