I think I know the answer to this, but here goes..

Lets suppose I have an application with states A, B and C, plus the default.

There are buttons in states A, B and default to switch the application to
state C.

That would be all fine and dandy, but once I have entered state C, I can
press a button to leave state C and return to the  state from whence it was
called (A, B or default).

Still, no problem with that, but I'd like to keep the context of the
previous state so that when I return to state A (for example) from state C,
I can present the same view as before.

Similarly, it may be that state B is really a substate of A (state Ab, if
you like), so returning to the status quo might be a bit more difficullt.

Really speaking I just need a state/state context stack that I push and pop
as I move from one state to the next and back.

Anyone already done similar with a different approach?

I know I could get away without the stack if I implemented variants of state
C that took into account the 'calling' state, but it quickly becomes a
nightmare.

This is certainly doable, I'm just seeing if there's a tried and tested way
of managing state contexts like this.

Paul