On 28-Oct-08, at 7:42 PM, Paul Andrews wrote:

> I have to say that I'm with Dmitri on this one - I can't remember
> the last
> time my win XP laptop crashed.

I am a systems tech, who programs flex as a hobby, and coming from a
background of dealing with multiple OS systems (mac, win, linux, BSD,
etc) in both a server and desktop environment with up to 2000 users).
I personally find I do over all have way less issues with my mac than
my previous windows based boxes. So for me it works. I look at the
number of hours in a day I spend on support, and my win clients
require at least 80% more of my time than their mac counter parts. And
even then, my support for the mac users is more of how to do something
since they have switched recently. On the Win side, it is a constant
issue with compatibility, crashes, or updates that broke something and
virus at times.. Now with that being said, maybe I don't know how to
manage a win network, or maybe there is not enough user education on
my/the company's part. =-)

With the whole switching thing being so prominent these days, you can
only make the decision for yourself once you have tried both systems
(for more than a day of playing) in real world use. In doing what you
do day to day. For a decent period of time. But once you do this, you
can then decide if the $, os, etc ,etc is worth the switch for you.
Too bad there is no "try before you buy".  =-P

The bottom line is this:

Any OS will get your job done. Some have advantages (both ways) in
certain situations than the other, but it all comes down to your
comfort, available support and budget. Neither one is bad. I just find
that as a tech (working professionally since about 97), my mac systems
do just have less issues in the bigger picture with minimal technical
intervention. Sure you can have a win install hum along, but that
comes with some tweaks, and a whole lot of user education (just my
opinion - which is not necessarily right.). Of the true technical
issues i have with macs, usually come with software that was ported to
the mac as an afterthought.

I am kind of (neutral) Switzerland on this one. It is best to try it,
then decide (if you have the opportunity). Sometimes easier said than
done.