<mx:MenuBar id="myMenuBar">
        <mx:XMLList>
                <!--DOES NOT WORK!!! menuitem label="Action"
enabled="{bindableProp !=
null}"/-->
                <menuitem label="Action" enabled="{myMenuBar != null &amp;&amp;
bindableProp != null}"/>
        </mx:XMLList>
</mx:MenuBar>

This allows me to disable the menuitem when bindableProp is null.

In the above example, bindableProp is a Boolean which has been declared as
Bindable. When the container is created, this bindableProp is null. Later, I
set it to something non-null.

The above code works fine. However, its a workaround, because if I don't
include the "myMenuBar != null &amp;&amp;" part, then the menuitem is
initially enabled (before the bindableProp has been set to a non-null
value).

On closer inspection "myMenuBar" can be replaces with any other non-null
Bindable property, and it still works. Null properties or non-bindable
properties do not work there.

Also its ok to do something like: "{nonNullBindableProp.nullBindableProp !=
null}" but NOT "{nullBindableProp != null}"

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?