Flex 2.0.1

We are dynamically generating/building a form and putting it in a
"content area". The form has a list of fields that are custom fields
(wrappers for the real UI component). I'm trying to capture a key
press in the content area. It works for the "TextInput" custom
component, but not the ComboBox. Any Ideas? Here's the basic class
structure (pseudo-code):

-----------------------

class BaseControl extends UIComponent {
   protected var component : UIComponent;
}

class MyComboBox extends BaseControl {
   public MyComboBox () : void {
      component = new ComboBox();

class MyTextInput extends BaseControl {
   public MyTextInput () : void {
      component = new TextInput();

class MyForm extends UIComponent {
   var fields : ArrayCollection; // list of BaseControls
}

Content.mxml:

<script>
   var form = new MyForm();
   ... add form fields
   content.addChild(form);

   content.addEventListener(KeyboardEvent.KEY_DOWN, handleKeyboard);

   private function handleKeyboard(event:KeyboardEvent) {
      Alert.show("Key down");
   }
</script>
<mx:VBox id="content">
</mx:VBox>

The problem is that the keyboard handler is being called correctly
when a key is pressed with the cursor in the custom Text input field,
but is not getting called when the custom ComboBox has focus and a key
is pressed.

What am I missing?